Sunday, July 20, 2008

[Sunset/ Moonrise, Full Moon Hike] - Iron Mtn - Poway, CA

This was my 4th time up Iron Mountain, but, my first ever evening/ night hike. I loved hiking after the sun goes down and am sure I'll do more.

The first pic is a panoramic photo, I stitched this up to try and highlight the beautiful view of the San Diego back country you get from the Iron Mtn Peak (Looking east). Visible in this, among other things are Lake Ramona (in the center), Lake Santee (to the far right) and maybe some of the bigger mountains, in the distance.

Sun behind a rock, on the way up to the peak.

This next pic is looking west towards the coast, I took it at two different exposure levels for fun...

Lake Ramona....

... and Lake Santee, as seen from the peak
Ughhh... if only that ray of light hadn't sneaked into my pic...
What's a sunset hike without a couple sunset pics...
And the Going,... going,... gone sequence..



And finally the moonrise...

3 comments:

Vaniki said...

Ultimate collection!

Anonymous said...

G'Day,

I'm an Australian who has worked at a summer camp outside Julian for the past few summers. I stumbled upon your blog while doing some research for a short story. Wow. Incredible. I am so glad I found this. I really miss Southern California, and seeing a lot of the hikes and trails I've done myself has tugged at the heartstrings. I really miss climbing Cuyamaca and Stonewall, hiking to the Three Sisters and Lightning Ridge, even the geography of the area between Ramona and Poway. Congratulations especially on your photography.

Very glad I found this blog!
Dave

Anonymous said...

Well written article.